Glacier National Park (Sense of Place)










Artist Statement for Glacier Series:

I’ve had a fascination with the mountains since I was a little girl. The closest thing I had come to seeing mountains until I was about sixteen was the Black Hills of South Dakota. When my family and I went to Glacier National Park in Montana in June of 2021, my fascination with mountains turned into deep love, respect and longing for the mountains. 

In these four photos that I’ve chosen, you will see just a glimpse of the absolute beauty that is in this national park. The deep and rich colors are unbelievable. I tried to capture it on camera, but my camera just couldn’t quite capture the colors that I was seeing and experiencing so boldly. When I edited the photos, I wanted them to have deep blues and bright greens along with capturing the warm light. I think that is captured very well in Goose Island. This editing technique brings to life the things that I most experienced while in the mountains; the vastness of blue the mountains and the richness of the green forest. All those aspects are perfectly depicted in Joshua’s Glacier and Glacier Waterfall.

The depth and composition of the photos were carefully chosen. Although the Earth and landscape choose my general composition, the angles, frame, and whether I shot horizontally or vertically were carefully chosen. I tried to choose techniques that focuses on one intentional piece of the landscape but also can capture the true and natural landscape around it. For Sky, Mountain, Water I intentionally chose to uniquely contrast the earth with the sky and water, which are the three main pillars of this landscape in Montana. That is just one example of how I choose to shoot this landscape. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts